Tikkun Olam | Repairing the World
Making a difference in someone else’s life can make a difference in yours. Select the volunteer service that works best for you.
- Friendly Visitor visits with an aging adult to play board games, read, or chat. You may take an older adult to shop for groceries, run an errand, or walk together in the neighborhood. Commitments may be weekly or biweekly.
- Tele-Friend calls aging adults to chat, provide reassurance, and check on how they are doing. Commitments may be daily or weekly.
- Medical Visit Driver accompanies an aging adult to medical appointments and drives them to and from home. Commitments are flexible.
- Translator/Interpreter helps seniors for whom speaking English is difficult. Commitments are flexible.
- Assist Medically by conducting or assisting with blood pressure and/or glucose monitoring. For individuals with these procedural skills and qualifications. Commitments are monthly.
- Support a Caregiver allowing them to meet their own needs, attend to tasks, or even take a much needed nap. Commitments are one to three hours a week.
- Share Your Special Talent with pastimes such as playing the guitar, telling a story, playing bridge or pinochle with seniors. Commitments are flexible.
- Exercise Partner might walk with aging adults and encourage them to exercise. JFS sponsors an exercise program and breakfast two mornings a week for residents of Preston Place and Lincoln Towers.
- Speak English with Russian Seniors by working one-on-one with seniors from the former Soviet Union to help them comprehend and converse. No teaching experience required. Commitments are weekly or bi-monthly.
- Support the JFS Office by answering phones, preparing mailers, and other administrative tasks.
We encourage you to volunteer as a family and to share and learn from this experience together. Suggest some ways your family would like to be involved and we will work with you to make it happen.
All volunteers will be trained and supervised and can rely on JFS staff for support. If driving is required, volunteers will need a criminal and driver background check and must have a Utah driver's license, car insurance, and a current inspection sticker.